This is the vegan version of BLT but using tempeh rather than bacon so it’s really much healthier. The toast is gluten free with mashed avocado on top followed by lettuce and then some tomato – the tempeh is cooked with spices to give it a really smoky taste – great for breakfast or lunch since the tempeh provides plenty of protein and the avocado provides good fats.
|Prep Time||10 Mins|
|Cook Time||10 Mins|
- 2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz tempeh, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 large avocado – mashed with 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes – sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices of gluten free bread
- Vegan mayonnaise to garnish
- Combine the spices (paprika and cumin) into a separate bowl together with the salt and pepper.
- Oil with a brush one side of the sliced tempeh and then sprinkle onto the oiled side the mixed spices.
- In a frying pan pour in the remaining oil and put the tempeh into the pan with the spiced side facing down. Then sprinkle the remaining spices on the tempeh so that both sides are covered. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes. Then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Toast the bread and spread over the mashed avocado. Place a layer of lettuce on top followed by slices of tomato. Then lay 2 slices of the cooked tempeh on top with 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise. Serve.
Leave a Reply