This is a more moist variation of the traditional nut roast – instead of roasting you steam for 1 hour instead. It’s simple and quick to make – with cashew nuts, walnuts, some gluten free bread,, onions, garlic and herbs, It’s vegan and gluten free, Have it with some roasted veg and gravy or instead slice it up with some pickles and salad – it’s very versatile and easy to slice.
|Prep Time||25 mins|
|Cook Time||60 mins|
- 100 g Cashew nuts ground
- 160 g Walnuts ground
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 135 g gluten free bread made into breadcrumbs in a food processor
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 tbsp Vegetable stock
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal for the flax egg or use 3 eggs if not vegan
- 6 tbsp Water
- Heat a frying pan and lightly fry the onion in the olive oil until soft. add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- In a small bowl add the flaxseed and water together – mix and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add all the remaining ingredients and mix together thoroughly. Add the onions, garlic and flax egg and mix. If the mixture is too dry add some more vegetable stock.
- Oil a pudding basin. Pour the mixture in and flatten down. Place a piece of baking paper over the top and secure with a rubber band or string. Place in a steamer and cook for 1 hour. Test that the loaf is cooked by placing a knife into the top – if it comes out clean then it is ready to serve.
- Leave the loaf to stand for 10-15 minutes before turning onto a plate to serve.
Leave a Reply