This is a classic vegetarian loaf with lentils, nuts, chestnut mushrooms, and vegan cheese to go with all the classic roast dinner trimmings and makes for a delicious Christmas dinner alternative. Serve with your favourite sauce such as spicy tomato, mushroom or roasted red pepper. This roast is perfect for Christmas but can be eaten any time of the year and is also delicious with salad as well as cooked vegetables.
|Prep Time||30 mins|
|Cook Time||90 mins|
- 2 tbs Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 200g Chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Red pepper, trimmed, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 large grated carrot
- 100 g Red Lentils
- 100 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 150 g Mixed Nuts
- 3 eggs lightly beated
- 100 g vegan cheese
- Handful flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Dried organo
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 350 ml Vegetable stock
- Sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Heat oven to 180C, Line with greaseproof/parchment paper a 1.5-litre loaf tin.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in large frying pan and cook onion and celery for 5 mins until they begin to soften.
- Stir in crushed garlic and mushrooms and cook for further 10 mins
- Stir in diced red pepper, grated carrot and cook for about 5 mins
- Add 1 tsp of oregano and 1 tsp of smoked paprika, Cook for 1 min
- Add lentils, tomato puree and vegetable stock and immer for 25-30 mins. Mixture should be almonst dry – then set asise to cool
- Stir in breadcrumbs, nuts, eggs, cheese, parsley and season well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and press down
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins. Remove foil and bake for further 30 mins or until firm when pressed gently.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Leave a Reply