This is a fragrant Indian rice dish cooked with whole spices, herbs and vegetables like mushrooms, red pepper, peas, mushrooms and coriander. It’s vegan and gluten free. It also contains cashew nuts which means that not only is it full of fibre and phytonutrients but it also contains protein and good fats. Serve as a light lunch on its own or with some salad.
|Prep Time||20 mins|
|Cook Time||25 mins|
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 whole cloves
- 6 Black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 Green chilli chopped
- 12 Cashew nuts
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 inch Fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 8 Chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 1 courgette chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh chopped coriander
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
- 200 g Brown rice
- Wash and rinse the rice. Then place in water and bring to the boil and simmer for 20-25 mins or until soft.
- In the meantime, in a large wok, add the oil and add the bay leaf, whole cloves, black peppercorns and cumin seeds and sauté for 1 minute.
- Then add the onions, green chilli and cashew nuts and cook for 5-7 minutes until onions are soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Then add the red pepper, courgette and mushrooms. Cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add the coriander, garam masala, smoked paprika, peas and seasoning. Stir and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the cooked drained rice and thoroughly mix. Serve garnished with some fresh coriander.
Leave a Reply