A healthy breakfast of oats and quinoa with apricot compote. Quinoa is a slow release carbohydrate and it’s also a complete protein, meaning that it contains all of the essential amino acids that we need. Quinoa is actually a seed and not a grain and so is naturally gluten-free. Both quinoa and oats have high levels of fibre too. The apricots are also a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, iron, fibre and are a natural source of antioxidants.
|Prep Time||15 mins|
|Cook Time||20 mins|
- 50 g Quinoa
- 50 g Porridge oats (gluten free)
- 4 Cardomom pods
- 1-2 tsp Xylitol or honey
- 300 ml unsweetened Almond milk
- 250 ml Water
- Put the quinoa, oats and cardamom pods in a saucepan with the water and almond milk. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 mins stirring occasionally.
- Add more milk if too thick.
- Remove the cardamom pods and pour into bowls and top with the apricot compote and flaked almonds.
- Put apricots into a saucepan with the water and cinnamon and stir. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5-10 mins or until syrupy,
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Leave a Reply