Makes: 8 bhajis
- For the bhaji mix
- 5 small onions, sliced 5mm thick
- 5 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- water, as needed
Prep:10min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Gently sweat the onions off in a frying pan with some oil until they turn translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the chilli powder and mix. Add the turmeric, cumin, ginger, coriander and stir well. Remove from the heat.
- Place the chickpea flour, salt, coriander, cumin into a medium bowl and mix well. Add the onions and tomato puree into a bowl and mix. Add a little bit of water to get the correct consistency, it should be wet and easy to stir, but not sloppy.
- Drizzle some oil onto the prepared tray, place 2 tablespoons of the onion mix onto the tray for each bhaji, flatten slightly with the back of the spoon.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes, drizzle a little oil on top of the bhajis and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot, enjoy!